Embellish Knit Month: Day 10

November 12, 2010

MOLLY IS ADORABLE! If I might say so. Brian said she looks like an old woman who's encountered something that bothers her. I think I told her to smile in this photo and she reluctantly did this. But it's so much better, yes?
I bought this sweater at Community Aid for $1.50. Originally it had a weird billowy shape in the chest and then cinched at the waist. See the before. So I took it in on the sides and left the waist the same width.

I then made about 40 of these yoyos. See the tutorial below. And sewed them to the front in a random way. I originally saw Nienie wearing a yoyo necklace with a similar colored sweater.I wanted to try and recreate that look but instead of doing a necklace I simply attached the embellishments to the sweater.
If you look closely you'll see that Molly's wearing a yoyo top too! It's a blouse that Lily wore way back when. They are made out of vintage curtains that Brian's sister used as a child.
Oh and BTW Day 9's tutorial is now up if you are interested.


1. Cut a circle. Make your circle twice the diameter you want your yoyo to be.
2. Thread a needle and make a knot at one end.
3. Sew in and out the enter way around the circle.
 4. Start to cinch the circumference together.
5. Push it out and down to get the flower shape.
6. Take your needle and sew it into the middle securing any loose gathers.
7. Tie a knot in the back.


8. Done with that.
 9. Pin them on your sweater where you want them to be.
10. Sew them on. You only need to sew the middle of each yoyo.

17 {comments}:

Erin said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh WOW! The colours make these pictures look like Frida Kahlo portraits. SO Awesome.
And Molly! so squeezable!

Claudia said... Best Blogger Tips

These posts are just unbelievable. I love knits, sweaters, and Fall. I can't wait every day to see your creations. Not that you need more on your plate but this would be such a fab subject for a book that I would totally love to buy.
BTW: What is a Cummunity Aid Store, I can't find any in my area (Philadelphia). Thanks for sharing all these goodies, -Claudia

Magpie Shinies said... Best Blogger Tips

Sort of unrelated, but I LOVE your tights!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Claudia,
I think it's a local thrift store thing. But it takes donations so it's not for profit. I can't even find a website on them or any other locations than the one I know of in my area. But it's really amazing.

I used to go to the Sal Val on Wednesdays but have started to go to the Community Aid store instead. Everything is half off including the new stuff and they have isles and isles of packed racks. And...it's better lit:) Plus the cashiers are nicer. Of course, this is probably just my local observations. Nothing against the Sal Val. I've found the BEST deals and BEST looking stuff at both places.

If I were you I'd start at a Sal Val. But I think I'm going to write a post about thrift store shopping sometime soon. I could go on and on about tips.

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Magpie Shinies,
Thank you! I got them at sockdreams.com

I've gotten so many compliments on a couple of the pairs I've worn online and in real life that I might write to them and see if they might barter their stock for free advertising.

Just dropped another $38 on a couple new items.

sarah said... Best Blogger Tips

I absolutely unequivocally LOVE your embellish sweater posts!!!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, so lovely! May I have the sweater and tights, please! :)

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips

Ok, another favorite one! I want to make something like this for my daughter. Thank you for the idea. Cute pictures, of you and your little one.

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Molly is adorable! I love your outfits (head to toe). Another great transofrmation!

banclothing said... Best Blogger Tips

This is definitely something I will try. Maybe using all gray pattern fabrics and a little silk throw in. I like the idea of embellished sweaters because then I can wear a plain piece underneath.

Julie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your outfit! The blue and yellow are so pretty together.

romanemone said... Best Blogger Tips

I like!

Stephanie said... Best Blogger Tips

Great color combination. and I totally love your tights. <3

Carolina Bernardo said... Best Blogger Tips

Completely in love with the jacket. My granny taught me how to make those flowers some years ago. I use to put them in my straw handbags (my project can be seen at http://acarolinabernardo.blogspot.com/).
I'm always saying that i'll start to costumize my own clothing, but it's always a delayed project. maybe one day!!

Carolina

Charley said... Best Blogger Tips

You inspired me so much with this colorful cardigan that I went ahead and made one myself! Mine is yellow and the fabrics for the yoyo's are predominantly red, black, white, and yellow prints and patterns. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Charley said... Best Blogger Tips

You inspired me so much with this colorful cardigan that I went ahead and made one myself! Mine is yellow and the fabrics for the yoyo's are predominantly red, black, white, and yellow prints and patterns. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Alex said... Best Blogger Tips

I just discovered your embellishment series via WWEPW & this is one of my faves! (I think I could say that about pretty much every single one!)
I adore yoyos! Imagine a sundress covered with them! Another project? Hmm...
I love the primary colour coordination here! So cute!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...