vintage curtain cami

June 16, 2008

In the same spirit as the Von Trapp children and Amy Adams in Enchanted I have taken my scissors and- with a charming song and dance- cut a cute camisole out of an old curtain. Aside from my Disney influences I was also inspired by an Anthropologie sweater with various florets gathered around the neckline. But the curtain was just calling for me to take it out of the box. It belonged to Brian's sister- Caren, and hung in her bedroom when she was just a little girl. From there it was put in a box and stored in an attic for twenty-or-so years then given to me when Molly was born and we moved into our new house.
I folded the front of the camisole into four large pleats and added light brown grosgrain ribbons for shoulder straps which I tied into tiny bows. The yellow and white polka dots paired with the mustard flowers were so vintagey and bohemian that when I opened the lid it nearly begged me to cut it up.
"I was meant for so much more," it said.
I promptly took my clozapine, sharpened my scissors and set to work.
Okay, really....it's late and I'm in a silly mood, forgive me.

Pictured below you can see the matching quilt that went with the curtain. It pained me a little to cut it up but I plan on making another cute little dress for Molly and perhaps for Caren if she has children which is so much better than keeping it tucked away in an old cardboard box, right?










19 {comments}:

Valerie said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh. my. cuteness.

I would totally go nuts if I had that top to wear. I am an Anthropologie-aholic, and that top is fabulous! Your little girl has got to be the most stylin' little girl I've seen. Way to go.

Oh, and by the way, I really enjoy your blog. :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Absolutely gorgeous!

Catherine Haskew said... Best Blogger Tips

I just found your blog about a week ago and have been drooling over all the beautiful designs you have come up with! Please tell me you have an Etsy shop or something. I dont have kids yet but when I do I will be begging you to either teach me everything you know or let me buy some of your amazing pieces!!

Jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

Unbelievably cute. I love this one so much, the little flower embellishment is to die for!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I love getting comments. Definitely try the bubbles, they are working great for us.

And, BTW, I'm addicted to Forever 21 also, but I have to drive 45 miles to shop at one!

Leslie said... Best Blogger Tips

Cute!!!

Kim said... Best Blogger Tips

Anything inspired by Anthropologie is cool with me. I love all those
fun flowers. I want one for me! :)
(I hope you don't mind if I link you to my blog...I feel like I need to spread the word about you and your sweet sewing skills.)

Rebecca Ramsey said... Best Blogger Tips

That is one incredible top. I just love the little flowers!
Your creativity is inspiring!
Becky

Dawn Elizableth said... Best Blogger Tips

Totally cool! Love it! Looks like it was super fun to make. I too love Anthropologie!

Kari said... Best Blogger Tips

Fabulous!

Artfulife said... Best Blogger Tips

It is very cute!

Autumn said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw you on Kim's blog and had to check you out. Oh. my. Absolutely beautiful yellow flowers!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

you are just churning out one beautiful design after the other!!! This is gorgeous and so highly orginal!!! I just love it!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said... Best Blogger Tips

I am not sure how I found this site, but that cami is tooo cute!! I love the cluster of flowers. You rock, you creative goddess you!

Teresa @ good-grace said... Best Blogger Tips

so, sooo cute!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

That is so adorable! Great work!!

Art Nest said... Best Blogger Tips

Just checking in, this is too stinkin' cute! Love, Love, Love it!

melissa said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh that is so pretty. I love the field of flowers across the top!

Sarah and Jack said... Best Blogger Tips

I love, love, love the use of yo-yo's that way. It's gorgeous.

nathalie bearden said... Best Blogger Tips

this is my favorite thing in the whole wide world!!!!!!!!!!! fabulous!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...