Thrift Store Thursday: Ring Bearer Pillows

February 10, 2011

My friend Abi is getting married in June. She has been planning and crafting so that she can keep her budget under $6,000. I am super impressed at how she's found ways to save money. In fact I plan on doing a post after all is said and done about how she's saved thousands of dollars. It's wildly amazing.
Recently she came over and we made these ring bearer pillows. It was so easy. Similar pillows bought at bridal shops can run $65....A PILLOW! That's $130 for two! Crazy. We made both of these for under $5. And PS, I like ours WAAAAY better than the David's Bridal versions.

And the really impressive thing about these pillows is that the satin tie and flower on top were made of clothing from her grandmother who recently passed away as well as the antique broach in the center.
To make these pillows just use this 5 minute pillow tutorial and make a larger version of the yoyos on day 10 of Embellish Your Knits Month. The diameter of your circle before you cinch it should be 18". Then use ribbon for the sash that wraps around the pillow or use the fabric that you used to make your giant yoyo. Hot glue or sew a broach in the center. 

Check out her wedding site!

15 {comments}:

Brittany Rivers said... Best Blogger Tips

How sweet! Those are beautiful. I love the applique in the middle.

I had a low-budget wedding as well, not too much more than hers. It's fun but definitely a good challenge! Looking forward to the wedding photos.

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips

i too, did a wedding for under 6,000. complete with purchasing the bridesmaid dresses, shoes, etc. They were not asked to spend anything on their clothing.

check out my website...I documented my journey!

www.mycheapweddingshoes.blogspot.com

Sunni said... Best Blogger Tips

Absolutely darling! I love the classic, chic colors used and they look simple elegant and lovely! Perfect idea for wedding pillows, but I think you could even decorate with these around the house! Love!

xoxo,
Sunni

Jessie said... Best Blogger Tips

I just love that the bow and broach were her grandmothers. I wore my great grandmothers engagement ring on my right ring finger to include her in my ceremony.

Tasha said... Best Blogger Tips

What a lovely way to honor her grandmother, save money and make something beautiful all at the same time! When my dad got married a year ago, I knit them a ring-bearer pillow with a raised heart design on it. :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

How clever! My parents, who married almost 20 years ago, paid about £200 for their 'big day'.

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips

That is very special! I spent a lot on our ring pillow, which I did keep...maybe my girls can use it when they get married. I wish I would have been that crafty when I got married, but I definitley don't regret any of it. It was all worth it!

Sarah Jordan said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! Gorgeous pillows. Great find.

willowbird35 said... Best Blogger Tips

I pulled off my wedding in 2007 for under $3,000 by doing everything myself. I did buy invitations but I ordered them plain and fancied them up myself. I made all the food for the dinner after the wedding and made all the decorations. I had only one bridesmaid but made her cala lilly arrangement she carried. I love weddings that are crafted and handmade or have touches of it. Not only does it reduce the cost, but it makes it more personal. :) -Karen

Andrea said... Best Blogger Tips

super cute!
And way to go with the money-saving. Can't wait to see how her wedding goes. :)

Ashley said... Best Blogger Tips

This is wonderful! The pillow looks so much better than the ones in bridal shops. I love anything about weddings but I love them even more when the couple realize that it's about celebrating love, not about spending $40,000 for a overblown party.

I wish your friend the best. Marriage is certainly an awesome ride!

Linda said... Best Blogger Tips

Great idea! The ring-bearer pillow looks great! Do you have the tutorial for making that bow? It is beautiful!!!Thanks!

Abigail said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for asking Linda. In the next few days Kathleen will be posting several articles related to the projects for my wedding. Each post will have a tutorial link available. Keep checking back because I should have that tutorial posted by the end of February.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

i just love your blog, but i have to tell you that it's "brooch" not "broach" - unless you're talking about sailing, bringing something up for conversation, metalworking, spit-firing, or draining liquid from something.
Brooches are accessories. :)
ok. now my head will not explode - but yours might. Sorry if i irritated anyone :)

Curtis said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice Pillow Cases! We might try to work a reference to this one into a blog post about where to buy Pillow Cases next week.

Pillow Cases

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...