Modern Mockingbird Bloomer and Blouse

June 6, 2008

Though this little frock looks so adorable on Molly it is meant for another little girl. This was made for a friend's baby shower and at first I intended to make three including a monkey and snail. Cute right?! As it turned out I was only able to crank out one. Booooo. Time was just not on my side. As any mother/last minute costume maker will tell you....it's hard to take care of two girls while playing seamstress. I could have taken some short cuts that might have sliced my time in half but had my heart set on some details (ie the matching trim, and puff sleeves).



One can only guess why I named it Modern Mockingbird;) It was my first attempt at applique. I was so clueless at the fabric counter that I had them cut plain instead of double sided interfacing. I loved the look of the loosely bound stitching around the applique but could use some practice. Really tiny rickrack might have done the trick too but I didn't think of it until after the fact. Whatever the case, I hope baby Olivia won't mind and gets good use out of it! That....and that it doesn't fall apart in the first wash.








18 {comments}:

Jade said... Best Blogger Tips

It's lovely & you did very well with the cute bird applique. I'm sure it will be loved.

lera said... Best Blogger Tips

very sweet.

earthmama said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your blog so much! Your color choices, patterns, fabric...All of it! Love it! Love it all!

Every time I hop over (from Ms.Ellaneous) it feels like Christmas!

Lisa

earthmama said... Best Blogger Tips

just linked you on my blog...had to!

Eva said... Best Blogger Tips

I honestly love every dress here. My Girl, standing beside me as I scrolled through, said again and again, "I wish I had that dress".

Dawn Elizableth said... Best Blogger Tips

I love appliqués. I only used one sided interfacing also. It doesn't bother me, just takes a little extra effort. Plus it works out better on knit materials!

nathalie bearden said... Best Blogger Tips

holy cow girl!!!! you are a very the accomplished seamstress! i had no idea. i'm loving your creations!!! i need one of these. make me one! hugs!

Leslie said... Best Blogger Tips

OH MY! I'm so glad you commented on our blog. I love everything you've made. These colors are so gorgeous. A girl after my own heart! I'm looking forward to checking in and seeing all you do. Thanks for inspiring

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Love your blog. Just found it through Little Sussy. You are so talented and I love your taste.

Annie. said... Best Blogger Tips

These are quite possibly some of the most beautiful and cutest little girls dresses I have ever seen. Might a person ask how we can buy the dresses, or the patterns? I'd love to know. My email is anniewebbphotography@gmail.com. Thanks!

Art Nest said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my! Your blog is so cute! I will be checking...do you use patterns or make up your creations?

Kari said... Best Blogger Tips

That is darling! Love the orange trim and ties. Cute Cute.

Di said... Best Blogger Tips

It's really beautiful! I love the orange spotty fabric!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Another "oh so cute outfit"! I love the applique.
I just caught an interview with David, can we just call him David, as if we were friends, over on NPR. I had no idea he was coming out with a new book either. He gives a nod to the handmade. Made me love him even more.
-My oldest daughter with the love of museums is 14, she also loves to knit.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you so much for making this for Olivia! I can't wait to see her in it...and I hope her and Molly get to play together too!! Please come to VA soon!!

Kellie H said... Best Blogger Tips

The birdie is oh so darlin'!

loving all your little creations here! Great blog =)

Joanna Goddard said... Best Blogger Tips

oooh, those little feet!

Emily Cole said... Best Blogger Tips

This is so sweet! My neice would look beautiful in this! I might need to do some sewing for her!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...