Cutting and Sealing Fabric with a Soldering Iron!

November 27, 2013

Did you ever have this situation?....You sew a beautiful chiffon dress that looks gorgeous but when you're hemming the bottom you stretch the fabric and the end result looks funky (and not in a good way). Here's an interesting way to seal the edges of your SYNTHETIC fabrics while cutting them at the same time. And don't skip using a metal edged object or ruler. It really makes ALL the difference in the crispness of your edge.

9 {comments}:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing this tip! I've linked to your video over at Craft Gossip:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/video-tutorial-use-a-soldering-iron-to-cut-and-seal-synthetic-fabrics/2013/11/27/
--Anne

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anne WeaverThanks Anne!!!!

Jennie Holt said... Best Blogger Tips

This is FANTASTIC!! I will use this so much thank you!!

kitblu said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anne Weaver
And I found it there! This is great. I have always had trouble with synthetics and have avoided sewing with them. I was given a couple boxes of such fabric and now I can get them out of storage!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

great novel idea, I'll give that a go when I get out my sewing machine next.

MabelLucy said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anne Weaver
Very clever indeed and well done... But how do you "practically" set up a glass cutting surface and what specifically did you use for a metal ruler? The ruler looked square and heavy.

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

@MabelLucyAny metal ruler will do! I used that box top with the metal edge because I couldn't find a metal ruler. As for the glass surface I was lucky enough that my desk has a glass surface built in but if you don't have any glass surface to work on you can try checking out a glass shop or lowes. I know that lowes sells pre-cut glass.

Ellen said... Best Blogger Tips

Great ! never seen this before.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anne Weaver

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...