The Second Chances Party Frock

February 4, 2011

No. This isn't the Valentine's day dress, although I think it could pass for one. Brian had to work a 14 hour day and was just too pooped to do a shoot when he got home. This dress is actually being featured in the latest issue of Sew Stylish Magazine on news stands now! I believe you can purchase at Borders, Barnes and Nobles, JoAnn's.
In the magazine I show you how to turn an ugly turquoise prom dress into this! Hence the name. You can see the before in the magazine as well as step by step photos and instructions on how to make this dress.
I created angular sleeves and a peg top skirt and scoop neck and back (I really liked the way the scoop neck turned out in the back, which they don't feature at all in the magazine.) And as you can see a red bias tape trim ruffle. When I got the turquoise dress in the mail I knew I'd be pairing it with picnic red. I love the color combination of those two. One word. Pop.
If they send it back to me I'll offer it up as a giveaway. I'm just not sure if they'll keep it or what it's fate will be. Fingers crossed:)

44 {comments}:

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cute! I love that colour combination too!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats girl! That's so exciting!

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips

It's really beautiful. Wonderful job!

FROLLEINschnieke said... Best Blogger Tips

It´s amazing! Love, FROLLEINschnieke

nest full of eggs said... Best Blogger Tips

fun color combo ! i'll have to check out that magazine

Ashley said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations, I can't wait to see you in print! I'll be on the lookout for that issue, how exciting!

Tricia said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it. The red bias tape trim is fantastic, and the scoop neck is such a nice touch. Well done.

Make Me Over said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this colour combination and the ruffles! I would never have guessed it was a prom dress either!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I really like the colors together too. This dress has a very nice shape to it.

Leah Franqui said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh so cute! Dear lord, that's adorable. You are like one of those body make over shows, but for dresses.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

The blue and red, plus the ruffle, plus the skinny belt? SO. CUTE. Great job!

Joanna said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm going to have to go find the magazine now! I love seeing the before pictures. :-)

Martha Carolyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, wow, wow! Great job! I love the color combo too!

Brittany said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm loving those ruffles. Congrats!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous! Congrats on the feature! I love the color combo and the ruffle.

kristin said... Best Blogger Tips

Soooooooo pretty! Love the colors!

sarah said... Best Blogger Tips

congrats!
its a really lovely dress, love the colours.

fashbrickroad.blogspot.com/

Lora Oliver said... Best Blogger Tips

Absolutely FABULOUS! I may buy the magazine simply so I can dream about this dress.

Andrea said... Best Blogger Tips

That's fabulous, congratulations! :)
Great job.

Casey said... Best Blogger Tips

I just love how your dress redo came out--it is so, so adorable with the ruffle and touch of red! Bravo!!! :)

♥ Casey

Sarah Jordan said... Best Blogger Tips

That dress is gorgeous. If I win it I will get married in it! Getting married in Hawaii in April <3

Sweeter Hours said... Best Blogger Tips

So pretty as usual! I aspire to that sewing level!

365 Dresses said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely. Adorable. And congratulations!

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the colors and the skirt style. So unique! When I saw the dress it just made me happy! Maybe call it the "Cheer You Up Frock"!
Can't wait to see the V-day dress.

Lindsay said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE it. I am trying to teach myself to sew clothes but so far its not going very well :)

Ill have to keep my eyes open for this magazine.

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

Kathleen,
BTW, I am posting a little spotlight tomorrow of this dress and put up photos...But definitely linked back to you! Let me know if it isn't ok to use the photos!
:)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats for your magazine feature!! I too love that color combo.

Kira said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it, great work! The back scoop is beautiful and that color combo is fantastic!

From Suns To Moons said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh wow, this dress is to die for! The color combination, the ruffles, the piping... You are incredibly talented.

The Sew Convert said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the dress! SO sweet!

Larissa said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh swoon! I'm in love! I love the contrast of the colors, so beautiful!

secret cake said... Best Blogger Tips

The scooped back is lovely, and those capped sleeves are so modern and feminine! (And I also LOVE your nail polish-- perfect!)

Any plans for another dress sew-along? I am determined to make the time to participate this year!

HipDroppedStitches said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my gosh, I love this! The colors are fantastic.

dana said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cool Kathleen! That's awesome! And totally cute dress :)

Nastasia Pilar said... Best Blogger Tips

This is absolutely adorable you are so talented!

LGreenWriter said... Best Blogger Tips

Dear Kathleen,
Sigh, sigh, sigh. Just want to say a big THANK YOU for your wonderful site (which I very recently discovered). Beyond the mental vacation it provides, you've made my pile of fabric, and vintage/thrift in need of tweakage, look like a fun bunch of possibilities once again! And my ideas are a step or three beyond what they would have been. : ) Anyway, thanks for sharing your work and your life with all of us, and BIG CONGRATS on your magazine feature, can't wait to pick up a copy.
lmg

Heidi said... Best Blogger Tips

Gah! Everything you do is so lovely! I'm hoping you do more Frock By Friday or something similar this year ;)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

love the dress; why'd they put SUCH an ugly picture on the front? I dont think that is stylish at all; i would've never picked this up off the stand! scg00387 at yahoo dot com

Christi said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats and I really love this dress! I bought the magazine yesterday :)
I wanted to ask though...did you use a commercial pattern for the remake? I really want to try and make something similar so just curious. Thanks!!

Tricia Lee Riggio said... Best Blogger Tips

http://babynightnightbotique.blogspot.com/2011/02/award.html

I gave you the stylish blogger award

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Adell,
Actually I used a bodice pattern of my own BUT I gave them a couple commercial pattern suggestions to share with the readers. I didn't see it in the article though. Maybe I missed it. But I would suggest anything with a scoop neck, preferably. And a zipper in the back rather than the side.

Emily@theantiperfectionist said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE the red/turquoise color combination! After reading this I decided to use these colors to make a wrap dress for my daughter. Thanks for the inspiration!

Dayl said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE the dress! Hope to find a pattern to mirror it - great colours too!!

x said... Best Blogger Tips

I think it's just perfect!! I love it!!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...