Shoe Sugar Month: Day 17 Insole Heaven

January 28, 2011

One of the downsides to buying shoes at the thrift store is that they often don't have the prettiest insoles. And honestly, I don't really care about what my shoes look like on the inside unless I'm photographing them. But I'll admit that I've been drawn to shoes in the store that have a pretty pattern on the inside.
 If you love to have your shoes look as good on the rack as they do on your feet you can try this simple tutorial for making custom insoles.
 And BTW, I bought these Apt. 9 shoes for only $1.50! I love their pinkish but neutral hue.

You can use pinking shears to do this but they must be the quality fabric shears you buy at JoAnn's and not the kind for scrapbooking. Those barely cut paper. And if you're really ambitious you can buy this SCALLOPED rotary blade or these scalloped fabric shears for an even more polished look.

 

1. Iron your fabric flat.
2. If you have insole I recommend using them as a template and skipping steps 2 through 3. But if you don't have insoles follow these steps. Take a shoe with as much exposed insole as you can find.
 3. Place a piece of fabric over top and trace the insole.


Cut the pattern about 1/4" in from your tracing.
 4. Take a piece of sticky back foam. If you don't have sticky back foam you can use spray glue to make the one side sticky.

Now alternately you can cut out the foam step and just glue the fabric into your shoe without foam. If your shoes are too small you might have to leave out the foam. It's up to you.
 5. Spray your in sole fabric with no fray spray (BEFORE CUTTING). Then trace your insole pattern on the fabric and lay your fabric on top of the sticky side of the foam.


(And please ignore the different fabric I'm using. I did these steps on separate occasions.)
 6. Then cut out with fabric pinking shears.


7. Spray back of foam with spray glue or whatever glue works best for you and place in shoe. Let dry.


And done.

28 {comments}:

Erica W. said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this idea! I have a few pairs of shoes where the insole has completely flopped out and it's been driving me crazy. This is the perfect, pretty fix.

No Big Dill said... Best Blogger Tips

This is especially lovely when you are requested to take your shoes off at someone else's home. Very fun, Kathleen.

Drew said... Best Blogger Tips

Adorable! Where can I find sticky backed foam?

Nancy said... Best Blogger Tips

This is wonderful!!! I think this is one of the best shoe idea I have ever seen. I can't wait to beautify some of my shoes! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it! Great suggestion. Thank you!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Drew,
I bought a multicolored 50 pack at JoAnn's.

HipDroppedStitches said... Best Blogger Tips

I love these! I am getting married in April and I have always loved when wedding photographers get shots of the dress, the shoes, etc before the bride puts them on. I always thought it was a little weird to show the shoe label though (sorry shoe brands)... Now I can make pretty insoles for my bridal shoes!

Sarah Jordan said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the great tutorial...I'm going to make tons of these!

Malea said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh My! Thank you for this idea! I've so got to get some foam and spray adhesive to do this to all my shoes :)

Connie said... Best Blogger Tips

wonderful idea! I love how a part of an outfit can be so beautiful, even when unseen. That's probably why I love coats with a beautiful inner lining, even if the outside isn't as attractive.

Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

This is GENIUS!!! I am so in love with this idea that I'm having to fight the leave the house right this minute and go find a pair of thrifted pumps - not because I need them but because I want to make their insides pretty.

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2011/01/shoe-sugar-month-day-16-insole-heaven.html

--Anne

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I cannot add anything more that has not already been said, so I will just say "Thanks!".

Viki said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this idea and linked you to my site http://ourlittlehouseonthehill.blogspot.com

Taylor said... Best Blogger Tips

I bow down before you! What an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing, I will so be doing this!!!

Taylor
www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com

Sweeter Hours said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay Yay Yay! I've been waiting for this :)

I have to admit I have totally bought a purse for the lining :)

Margo said... Best Blogger Tips

lurv those shoes! I saw a movie star wearing pale pinkish/bone heels with a flamin red cocktail dress one time. It stayed in my imagination as a look I want to recreate.

chardknocklife said... Best Blogger Tips

This is awesome! There have been so many times when I've been tempted to by shoes or a coat just for the linings, and had to remind myself no one was going to see them. Now I can have pretty linings on all my shoes!

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips

Brilliant! Thanks for the tute!

The Little Bird said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this blog, and really enjoyed the dress a week dresses.
Sooooo..
I am awarding you the stylish blogger award!
To pick it up there are a couple of things you need to do -check out my blog post
here: http://littlebirdinabeehive.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award-winners.html

Sherry said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so stoked!!! The problem with thrift-ed shoes is the insole. Now I can get my creativity on! YAY! Thanks for sharing. I am SO GLAD I follow your blog. You rock! Cheers!

Girls Day Out gdo-family.blogspot.com

Brittany said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the tutorial! Is the foam you used the same kind as for those kids summer camp crafts? Like awful fluorescent yellow visors with foam hearts, stars and soccer balls glued to them?

Nicole said... Best Blogger Tips

Adorable! I love the idea of making your own insoles, it's so smart especially if you buy shoes from the thrift store. And I have been looking for a pair of pumps just like that! What size are they? :) LOL

1 Funky Woman said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi there! I just found you through Maryjanes and Galoshes and I am in love with this idea. How creative you are! I am so going to try this!

Megan

New follower now!

1 Funky Woman said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi there! I just found you through Maryjanes and Galoshes and I am in love with this idea. How creative you are! I am so going to try this!

Megan

New follower now!

katie jean said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this! Finally a tutorial for something that I haven't seen before :) Genius.

The Hot Chick said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome!!! What kind of fabric would you recommend to use?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome! I liked to this tutorial on my blog:
plummbutton

Foot Care Products said... Best Blogger Tips

lovely post thanks for sharing..

Insoles

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...