Speaking of end of Embellish Month. Stay tuned this week for all the last minute Homemade Christmas Gifts I will be working on thru Saturday. Family members and friends: Do not look at this blog from tomorrow until after the weekend!
I came up with this idea when I was scribbling nonsense on a piece of scrap paper. I don't know. I thought it was kind of clever. See the before.
The tree has wood buttons on it and in the middle there's a button with a little painted owl (like he's in the tree....get it;) You could also try putting the leaves on the tree around the neckline. I think that would look cute too. Maybe just on one side?
This idea might also make a cute child's sweater!
The sweater originally had a turtleneck. I got rid of that and made it a crew neck. Then I cut it up the middle and added the tree to make it into a cardigan. Gotta love those cardigans! See the tutorial below!
1. Cut off the turtleneck.
2. Cut up the front.
3. Take the extra fabric from the turtleneck and cut so it is one long 2" strip.
4. Sew to neckline.
5. Sew felt to one side, right sides together.
6. Fold over and under.
7. Sew down the front to secure the felt on the top and catch the folded over felt underneath.
8. Cut off the excess felt underneath.
9. Cut out branches and sew them to the sweater by stitching around the edges of the felt.
10. Make the leaves. Cut them out of felt. I folded mine accordian style and cut many at once.
11. To give the leaves texture I pinched them at the end and sewed (or hot glue) in place.
12. Attach leaves by either sewing or hotglueing to sweater.
13. I added one falling leaf and made veins with the stitches I used to attach it to the sweater.
I then added the buttons and painted the little owl in the center one.