This sweater got a complete makeover. See the before. First I snipped of the arms and made them into boxy short sleeves. I also cut the neck into a scoop and used the extra material I cut off to make the cowl neck. I added new sailor anchor buttons and made the "band" embellishments.
It has a very 'band' look to it which is what I was going for. I figured I needed some reason to break out the old flute and show it off to the kids. They were adorable trying to play it. They would blow into the hole and hum as if they were making it whistle.
1. Snip off arms leaving 4".
2. Cut off collar.
3. Cut off buttons.
4. Cut a scoop neck.
5. Fold sleeve in.
6. And stitch in the ditch to secure folded sleeve in.
7. Take the extra material and....
8. Sew it to the neckline to make a cowl neck.
9. Then stitch in the ditch to secure the cowl the same way you did the sleeve.
9. Cut five white rectangles with pointed edges sew them down the front of the sweater as well as buttons on either side.
10. And sew twisted embellishments to top of rectangles.