I simply took some complimentary fabric and sewed it to the front. See before. And see full tutorial below.
1. First I cut off the ribbing at the bottom.
2. And sewed it to the middle.
3. I then took a 5" wide fabric and hemmed the sides.
4. I also added mustard yellow trim to the sides.
5. I sewed it just under the ribbing, then folded it under the sweater to the wrong side.
6. I did the same thing above the ribbing. Then I pinned the fabric close the collar and topstitched.
7. Then sewed on buttons three inches apart.