Embellish Knit Month: Day 2

November 3, 2010

I'm trying to write this while squeezing Molly who is  insisting on getting a back and neck massage. Since I was at the thrift store all morning I'm easy to oblige.

I found this sweater at the Community Aide store for $1.50. As you can see with the before it's not a cardigan. But I'm trying to do only cardigans soooo I made it into one! How? See my step by step below.
I used frogs for the closures. I'm not sure that's what they're called. I then lined the new opening and the neckline with red loopy trim.
I really liked it paired it with this red and white belt and crochet blouse from F21. I bought the purse at the thrift store this morning. Love it.
STAY TUNED LATER TODAY FOR MONDAY'S MAKEUP SWEATER!

1. Cut two pieces of twill tape or grosgrain ribbon 3 inches longer than your front.
2. Cut up the middle of the sweater.
3. Fold over opening 3/4" on each side.
4. Sew your twill tape or grosgrain ribbon over the raw edge of sweater.
 5. Add red trim to front and neckline.
6. Sew in frogs.


Done.



35 {comments}:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Very nifty. It's so detailed and I think all the various ideas work really well together.

Leah Franqui said... Best Blogger Tips

This is so adorable! Where did you get these frogs, they are amazing!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

I got them at my local fabric outlet. They have all kinds of overstocked goodies. I'm actually pretty lucky to have it so close to me. It's just down the street.

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Here's a place where you can buy them:
http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Category/894510.aspx

I bought mine for only 2 for a $1 at the outlet. But they are sometimes about $3-$4 each which is (to me) a bit pricey.

Perhaps you can find some on etsy for cheaper.

happyfamily said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't think that you should limit yourself to cardigans. But, if you can do all cardigans for 30 days I'll be pretty impressed.

I'm always impressed.

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said... Best Blogger Tips

love the frogs!

Tanya-Yanata said... Best Blogger Tips

That sweater is being pretty lucky cause picked by you:) lovely trim! I wish I have something like this one right now.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

That turned out adorable! I love that purse too, lucky!! Nice job! :)

Darci said... Best Blogger Tips

When you cut a sweater like that, up the center, how much bigger than you should it be? Like if I wear a L, should I be shopping for XL sweaters if I want them to close up the whole way?

Yours is totally cute! YAY for sweater surgery month!

Christie // lemon squeezy home said... Best Blogger Tips

It's adorable! I'm excited for this month, Kathleen!

Sunni said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh super darling! I'm loving your embellished knit month. So excited for all of the knits to come. This is so especially cute. Its has a rather british air to it. Darling idea!

Karin van D. said... Best Blogger Tips

Cute Kathleen. I like the blue/red/white combination!

Rachael said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

These posts are so darn cool. You have a very visual imagination.



Why all cardigans? Just curious.

Mitzi Green said... Best Blogger Tips

okay, for whatever reason i can't fathom sewing a sweater with anything other than...yarn. so enlighten me--what kind of thread do you use? what size needle? does it really just depend on the thickness of the knit?

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

So classy!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Great! I love how you styled this cardi too. (I want your shoes!)

Rachel said... Best Blogger Tips

GORGEOUS!!! I love those frogs!! I am literally waiting with baited breath everyday to see the next cardigan you are going to create. I am really loving this feature.

Shelley said... Best Blogger Tips

those frogs are the cutest stinking things ever!! I love the sweater :)

Niki said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it, but did i miss why the tape/ribbon needs to be 3 inches longer than the sweater?

Rebecca said... Best Blogger Tips

You are a genius. End of story.

Natalie Call said... Best Blogger Tips

This is so great! I love love love this! Very nautical looking.

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips

I love those frogs, too!! Wow you are amazing. I'm hoping to at least get one "embellish knit" done this month.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

just found your blog a couple of days ago, and all I can say is I am impressed. I may have to check out our local Op Shops again, I never go there cause they always have horrible clothes lol.

Miriam said... Best Blogger Tips

Cool. I've cut up many a sweater, but I've never quite known what do with the raw edges. I've sewn ribbon and lace right on the edge, on a really fine knit I sewed a scalloped edge, and once I just sewed it under--WHY didn't I just do this? Thanks for the tip!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

totally beautiful! i love how a bit of trim can be magical!

~selina

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the frogs! It wouldn't take much moving about of trim to give it a military jacket type feel. Hmm. I think I might have to do that to a knit!

JuneBug said... Best Blogger Tips

i love this one! so fast and easy - i've been thinking of doing this kind of thing to some kid/baby sweaters thanks for the tips. did you make the frogs yourself?

twobutterflies said... Best Blogger Tips

Amazing!! It's hard to believe that the before and after pictures are of the same sweater!! So much better in the after.

Teri said... Best Blogger Tips

Keep up the awesome cardi posts! You are really talented.

the handmade hipster said... Best Blogger Tips

It had never occured to me to split a plain sweater up the front to turn it into a cardigan! The thrift store will never be the same.

Ellie Inspired said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! Amazing!!

Katrine said... Best Blogger Tips

I just bought a thrift store sweater yesterday. Today my plans were to find a way to make it a cardigan. And now I've found your tutorial! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you so much for showing howeasy it is to turn a sweater into a cardigan. I've a few sweaters that I love but need a new lease of life.

twobutterflies said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this (and your whole Embellish Knits series) - it inspired me to do my first sweater to cardigan refashion. Your tutorial is very easy to follow. You can see my version on my blog and I linked back to this tutorial. Thank so much for all of your inspiring projects.

http://mytwobutterflies.blogspot.com/2010/11/sweater-to-cardigan.html

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...