Embellish Knit Month: Day 18

November 26, 2010

This is a simple change that you can do to sweaters that are too.....juvenile.

I don't like hoods on sweaters. There was a time in my life when I loved hoods. That time was in my teens and early twenties. Now I see them as adolescent. Which makes sense since I liked them....in my adolescence.
Now when I see a sweater in the thrift store that looks great but has a hoodie my heart sinks a little. 

I found this American Eagle sweater at Community Aid for $1.50. See the before. It looked great in the front, had a thick but breathable knit, and cute cropped length. But upon further inspection realized that it unfortunately had....a hood. Booo.
So I took it home and quickly  discovering that altering a hoodie into a collared sweater is quite simple. And I don't have to be disheartened by cute hooded sweaters any longer.

If you too hate the way hoodies look but love some of the thrift store goodies, check out this tutorial.

1.Measure how much you want to keep (about 5") from the neckline into the hood.
2. Cut off excess hood.
3. Cut off ribbing from excess hood.
4. Attach ribbing to raw edge of sweater collar by laying the ribbing next to the raw edge and use a zigzag stitch.


If the ribbing is too short you can stretch it a little.


Done.




16 {comments}:

Margo said... Best Blogger Tips

hey that is brilliant! I totally agree with you on hoods. I know exactly which brown wool sweater I'm going to do this to!

Heidi said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeeeaaah! This is what I've been needing. Off to decapitate all my hoods . . .

banclothing said... Best Blogger Tips

boots=fantastic

Magpie Shinies said... Best Blogger Tips

I love hoods - I've been altering some patterns to put hoods on them! And I'm 35 years old.

But again, I live in Minnesota. You need a hood here about 2/3 of the year.

Aurora said... Best Blogger Tips

AWESOME! Never thought about doing that. I too don't like hooded sweaters anymore-makes me feel too young...or maybe too old?? This is great!! Thanks!

tu-ki-mu said... Best Blogger Tips

soo elegant your hair style!
great photos!

magdamagda said... Best Blogger Tips

a great piece of knit you picked and made it even neater!;)

nest full of eggs said... Best Blogger Tips

gorgeous sweater ! love the horizontal cable !

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Woah. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Leah Franqui said... Best Blogger Tips

You are so amazing, Kathleen. I saw the following linked sweater at modcloth.com and I thought, eh, it's okay, but Kathleen could do it better... I love all of these! I've made two and even tried my hand at dyeing something! It turned out amazing, you were right, it's crazy easy!

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Tops/Short+Sleeve+/Gift+Exchange+Top

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

love the embellish knit month! Are you thinking of any sweater skirts?? I have this in my head, but do not know where to start. WHat kind of sweater, how will I know what fits etc...

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips

Another awesome embellishment! I can't wait to head into my closet and take out some of the hoods on my old sweaters. One question, though: Do you have to hand wash this sweater? I'm just wondering how much it will ravel where you cut off the hood.

karina said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you have an eating disorder? you look famished in some of the closeups

gretchen said... Best Blogger Tips

so cute...and i love your shoes, too!

Batty said... Best Blogger Tips

@Karina- Excuse me?! That's just plain rude. As a psychologists, I'm astounded and horrified that you would have the audacity to accuse someone of having a serious mental disease. If you don't have anything nice to say, you really shouldn't speak at all.

Jenarcissist @ the closet narcissist said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww, I LOVE hoodies, and I'm 30. :) I will shop in the juniors section forever! Or at least as long as I can get away with it. ;) I actually did an "Embellish Knit" of my own on a Target hoodie recently! But I agree that this particular sweater works better without one. Looks great!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...