Embellish Knit Month: Day 1

November 2, 2010

 Oh gosh. I didn't get this post up yesterday:( I'm doing a project for SewStylish Magazine and ended up running late. BUT I will be posting two sweaters on Wednesday to make up for Monday. And later today I'll be posting a Technique Tuesday....for sure this time:)

So I bought this yellow short sleeved cardigan at the Community Aide store for $1.50. I love short sleeved cardigan thrift store finds. They are so few and far between.

So this one was originally extra large (see bottom before pic). For full tutorial on how I made this see below.


1. Turn sweater inside out and pin against form. Take off and sew along pin line. Trim excess sweater.
2. Pin lace embellishment to neckline and sew to sweater.
3. Take a sweater that has been shrunk (ie felted). I found this sweater at the thrift store already shrunk for $1.50. If you already accidently shrunk a sweater you can use it for this purpose or buy a 100% wool sweater at the thrift store and wash it in hot water then throw it in the dryer. Merino wool works best. I've found this out the hard way;)


With felted wool you can cut shapes, like leaves, without having to hem the raw edges.
4. I made leaves out of the grey argyle diamonds and pinched them at the bottoms to give them some dimension. Then I sewed them to the front neckline.


I then added some buttons to look like red and black berries.


Done!

Please use the button below to link and share the Embellish Love:)

17 {comments}:

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips

Cute! How do you resize your sweaters? Do you remove the sleeves, take out the extra fabric in the sides and sleeves and then resew them back together?

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Ahh!

Love it!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it! What a great simple way to turn something drab into something fab!

Gaylene said... Best Blogger Tips

really cute! was worried you had a bad urology appointment when the post took so long - glad it was for good reasons!

Julia said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this sweater. I've been thinking of buying plain cardigans for my girls for Christmas and embellishing them. Thanks for the ideas.

Tamsinwp said... Best Blogger Tips

This is lovely! I admire how you get so much sewing done with a young family. I can't get my head round doing my sewing when my girls are around!

Rachel said... Best Blogger Tips

That is absolute GENIUS!!! Something like that would cost at least $98 at anthropologie. Could you also use rectangular felt squares for the leaves?

Sunni said... Best Blogger Tips

Awfully darling with a hint of vintage fun! I do love the yellow too. Sweet Sweet!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Gaylene,
Thank you for being concerned. Actually, it didn't go that great. But it wasn't anything unexpected. I have to go for another uncomfortable procedure next week. Ugh.

Gaylene said... Best Blogger Tips

Hope everything goes well - thinking of you. Meantime, you're going to out-Anthro Anthropologie!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips

For the life of me I can't find a lace trim as cute as yours...they are either to grandma or too 6 years old. Where did you get yours?

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Wilson Family,
I bought mine at the Fabric Outlet down the street from my house. It's actually very fortuitous that I live so close to such a great place for weird things like that. The owner goes to auctions and buys out manufacturer's overstock. It's sometimes really amazing what you can find there but it's there and then gone forever.

I would recommend etsy. I looked up supplies and then in supplies I looked up "crochet collar".

Here's the link:

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=crochet+collar&search_type=category&category=supplies

Here's one of the better examples:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/56434231/four-vintage-beautiful-delicate-hand?ref=v1_other_1

It's only $5 for four pieces!!


Ooooo....Here's a REALLY cool looking piece:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/54312728/collar-circular-yoke-blue-1-piece?ref=sr_list_29&ga_search_query=crochet+collar&ga_search_type=category&category=supplies&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=supplies


Give 'em a look see.

Hope that helps!!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

OMGoodness! That cool looking piece is only $2 plus $1.50 shipping. I might snatch it up if you don't!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey,
I was looking at this girl's shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DecorativeDetails?ref=seller_info


It's amazing!
Look at the lace in this post:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/54316550/lot-assorted-white-trims-21-12-yards

The middle one is my absolute fav!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Kathleen! I'm going to have to snatch something up today!

Heather

Renata said... Best Blogger Tips

Супер!

SallyAnn said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cute. Thanks for the tutorial on how to also take in a too big sweater.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...