So when Molly said she wanted to be a witch I thought, "I can make that work." I think she got the idea from a Sesame Street book about cookie monster, a witch and a magical cookie tree. The witch in the story is the traditional green, ugly, hag-like depiction. But I didn't feel compelled to stick by that standard.
Of course, I did stick with the traditional black BUT I made a long dress and smocked the skirt (which took forever BTW). I then bustled it so she could walk. Finally, I added a bunchy pettiskirt underneath to puffen the costume out at the bottom.
I lined the sleeves with a dark red embroidered flower taffeta. The upper part of the sleeves is cinched with gold trim lined black cuffs. I also filled the neckline with a black lace embellishment.
For an added flair I added an orange crushed taffeta and black velvet lined madame's cape with brown ribbon ties. I also bought the witch cone hat at the thrift store for just $1.
I really loved the way it looked put all together. I found the straw broom in my basement. Yay for hoarding!
I'm actually keeping this one. I always imagined having a trunk of dress up clothes for my girls. And that they would occasionally wear them and put on plays. Unfortunately, I give all my cool costumes away. Lily never really seemed to have an interest in dressing up until recently. Molly seems to love it....for a while. So perhaps if they start to show more interest I might save some of my creations for them and make that trunk I've always dreamed of.