Thrift Store Thursday: A Spoonful of Sugar Nightwear

September 16, 2010

I don't buy much lingerie. Almost never. And I'm not into the really lacey stuff. But often I will see a cute night cami at the thrift store that I want to buy.

Unfortunately, they NEVER come with bottoms. I still to this day don't know why. When I have bought lingerie in the past it usually came in two pieces not just a top. Or at least you had an option to buy the bottoms if they were separate. At the thrift store they do sell bottoms but they never have any matches.


Not a problem! Colette Patterns offers a FREE bloomer pattern. An extra 1/2 yard or so of solid colored fabric, some elastic plus free time = a new cute pair of bloomers to match your $1 thrift store cami from Victoria's Secret.

Once you have the pattern cut, each bloomer takes about 45 minutes to make. But, it would have gone a lot faster if I had used a wide elastic for the waist rather than two smaller ones that I threaded through a casing.
I think they are the cutest! And totally cheap to make. You could churn out a few in one afternoon! The camis featured above were originally from Forever 21, Victoria's Secret and American Eagle.

20 {comments}:

Amber said... Best Blogger Tips

I have had that tutorial bookmarked for the longest time - need to make some - they are so cute!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Those look really cute...but are they big enough to cover the back end?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

So lovely !

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

So lovely !

Claire (aka Seemane) said... Best Blogger Tips

I think I'd wanna swap out the ribbon/tie at the bottom for more elastic & sew on a fixed bow (I'm to lazy to adjust the ribbons to the right length when I'd want to put on the bloomers) :)

Sabr said... Best Blogger Tips

Just adorable!

Alice Barton said... Best Blogger Tips

great idea!
i am loving those bloomers but they seem very complicated to make..
are they realy that easy?
thanks for sharing!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

holasoylulu,
Well, I guess it depends. If you've ever sewn anything with elastic then, yes, they are that simple. The elastic was the trickiest part. I would definitely categorize it under 'novice'.

Aurora said... Best Blogger Tips

Once again, you inspire the poo out of me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

kms handmade said... Best Blogger Tips

Yep, totally comfy and easy to make. I used wide elastic at the waist and 1/4" on the legs. Emily asked if they cover the back end - yes. BUT if you have rather large stems coming out the bottom (like me) you probably want to just keep these in the bedroom. I don't have the legs to sport a pic like Kathleen! ;) Very clever to match them to thrifted camis!

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Emily,
They covered mine. Now, if I was crouched on the floor with my behind sticking out that might be a different thing. I haven't tested them out yet:)

Grosgrain said... Best Blogger Tips

Claire,
Surprisingly, I don't have to untie them. They just slip off pretty easily. I think it's because they tie at the thickest part of my leg.

Carolyne said... Best Blogger Tips

These are too cute!

Nicole said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been meaning to make these -thanks for the added motivation!

Carolyn said... Best Blogger Tips

I love these! I was just looking for a bloomer pattern for my daughter, something to wear under skirts/dresses. I'll definitely be converting these to child size. Thanks!

Shelly said... Best Blogger Tips

I love those!! I have that pattern too but haven't gotten around to make them yet. You might have inspired me to give it a try though. cute cute cute thrift store find! I always looks for Ball jars, boat paintings, nice sheets(fabric!), and pillow stuffing. lol : )

Margie said... Best Blogger Tips

I made a pair of these bloomers a few weeks ago. They came out adorable. Not something I could ever wear out of the house...but really cute for bed. I'm going to make another pair...sometime.

www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com said... Best Blogger Tips

Can't wait to try this!! I was just saying I wanted to try something like this! Thanks! Kristy from www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com

Ladies Nightwear said... Best Blogger Tips

I love these, they look great!

Privatelives said... Best Blogger Tips

that'a soo sexy night dress ...loved the post !!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...