Technique Tuesday (well....wednesday): Buttons

August 25, 2010

Do you have a funky little foot that looks all stubby like the front is missing? If so, you might have a button foot which will definitely help you when sewing many buttons all at once. Don't sew buttons on by hand, try the button hole foot. If you'd like to purchase one here's an inexpensive one on Amazon.
My video cuts off at the end before I get to finish my sentence (my battery died) but all I did was cut the threads off the button.

top photo: ahisgett

9 {comments}:

Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

I just recently discovered how to stitch buttons down on my machine, and I'm hooked!

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/video-tutorial-stitch-buttons-using-your-sewing-machine/2010/08/25/

--Anne

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I only stitch my buttons by machine now! I don't have the button foot, but I use my darning/free motion foot. I have to stabilize the button a bit in the beginning, but it works great!

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

YEAH! I totally have that foot and had no idea what it was for. I just turned my feed dog off and used my regular foot. One other trick I do is to put a piece of scotch tape over the button to hold them all in place where I want them and then just go around stitching them down! Love it!

Love and Hugs, Jess
theplannertheprocrastinator.blogspot.com

PS. Can't wait for the pintuck tutorial!

sucor said... Best Blogger Tips

Now I know what THAT foot is for and how to use it! Thank you!

kms handmade said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome! I'm so excited to make something with buttons now! I HATE hand sewing anything!!!!

Emily@JanDee Crafts said... Best Blogger Tips

I love sewing buttons with my machine! I have featured your wonderful tutorial on my blog! Come check it out!! http://jandeecrafts.blogspot.com/2010/08/never-sew-another-button-by-hand.html

Have a great day!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks...always saw that clear foot in my bag, and now I can use it. Just fixed a button for my husband...he's happy :0) Also used your buttonhole tutorial yesterday. Thanks for the clear, easy instructions!

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never seen that before! Does it creat a 'shank' when the button is put on like that? Or is there a way to create a shank?

beckatherecka36 said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so stoked to try this. I just started sewing about a year ago and am self taught so there are quite a few things (to say the least) that I don't know about sewing. Thanks!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...