Towel to Poolside Robe Tutorial

May 24, 2010

First off, HOW cute is Eloise? She is such a happy baby.

We have this tradition in our home where after a baby is done with her bath I wrap her in a towel and present her to everyone sitting on the sofa by saying "Look at this baby!" For some reason they LOVE it.

But to do this I have to be wearing a towel as well and I'm constantly struggling to keep it on while I'm holding one of them in my arms. Often it's two seconds away from falling off in front of everyone.

I went to the Salvation Army every Wednesday looking for a robe but never found just what I was looking for. Plus, buying a
used robe kind of skeeved me out.

So I took an old towel and decided to turn it into a robe, one that could be used for the pool or the bath. It's really simple! Here, I'll show you!
Materials:
Towel you don't use anymore
2 yards of elastic
velcro (iron on)
Coordintating color towel for optional straps


Step 1: Find a towel that you don't use anymore









Step 2: If you have a striped towel and you want the stripes to sit vertically, fold the towel in half and cut up the middle.

If you have a solid color towel or you like horizontal stripes, leave the towel the way it is.






Step 3: If you cut the towel in half put the two pieces next to each other and sew, right sides together.









Step 4: Take the long side of the top of your towel and fold over by 1/2".










Step 5: Take that fold and fold over again by 1". Pin. Do this along the top of the towel.










Step 6: Take your elastic and wrap it around your chest. Cut it at the point where the two ends meet.










Step 7: Thread your elastic through the casing at the top of the towel that you just made with a large safety pin. I recommend using a diaper pin because it doesn't come open in the casing.

Sew the elastic at both ends to the towel.






Step 8: Take your towel and wrap it around you. Find where the end of the towel meets your right side and make a mark on the inside of the top layer and the outside of your bottom layer.

Cut a 5" piece of velcro.








Step 9: Stretch your towel by pinning it to the ironing board and lay your velcro down. Iron it by putting a heavy cloth overtop.









Step 10: Sew in small vertical lines in various places on the velcro to reinforce the durability.










Step 11: To make straps (optional) I actually like this better without straps but I will show you how to make them.

Take a small hand towel with a similar color and cut two four inch strips.






Step 12: Cut two 18" strips of elastic.











Step 13: Fold strip of towel in half lengthwise and sew up the side.

Trim the excess.








Step 14: Take your safety pin and pin through one side. Push the pin in the casing and turn it inside out.










Step 15: Thread the elastic through as you did in Step 7. Sew at both ends.










Step 16: Position your straps where I'm pointing on the robe and sew the strap to the robe on the inside.

Done!

18 {comments}:

Seow Like Meow said... Best Blogger Tips

I get so distracted by your butterfly pendant. I have been looking around for one for awhile. Ok... focus on the robe... I think it has to be colorful/bright to work by the pool. Love the colors.

Jo said... Best Blogger Tips

Great tutorial, thanks! I'm planning to make a beach cover-up out of a towel for my almost-3-year-old. I love your little one's polka-dots. So cute.

Sassy Salsa girl said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it! Perfect fot poolside or getting out of the shower! I could make one for my baby too! ;D

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Eloise is SO cute(!) and you are pretty as usual. Love the colors. :)

Shayla said... Best Blogger Tips

Umm, I just spent 2 hours looking for a towel that does exactly this YESTERDAY.

I LOVE YOU. Thanks for the tutorial.

alix said... Best Blogger Tips

This is adorable....Eloise is such a cutie!
I love your "presentation" of her after bath time.
My little guy Wolfie started this thing when he was 3 where he wraps himself in his towel and then curls up on the bathroom floor rug and has me put another towel over him (partly to keep him warm and partly for "effect"). I then have to go and get the hubs and say "Greg, can you take this pile of towels to the laundry?" And he has to pretend to be shocked when the pile starts moving around as he picks it up. haha. Wolfie is in kindergarden and he STILLS wants us to do this every bath time! It just cracks him up.
: )
Alix

modernkiddo.com

kristiyana shinta said... Best Blogger Tips

whooaaaww,, cool,,!
it's so colourful :)
i want to try to make it soon :)

BluBabes said... Best Blogger Tips

Just darling! Not only for the grown-up gal but the little girls too. I should be able to make some for my daughters when they leave their swim lessons. They take soooo long to change. And by then it's straight to bed when we get home.

Rebecca Ramsey said... Best Blogger Tips

So cool, and what timing! These would be perfect graduation gifts for girls. Thank you!
The blog looks gorgeous, by the way!

Darci said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the great summer birthday idea for my 6 sisters!!

Darci said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the great summer birthday idea for my 6 sisters!!

Stacey said... Best Blogger Tips

This is the exact towel robe I've been looking for - awesome! I'll have to do one up for my daughter and myself this weekend.

Amber said... Best Blogger Tips

this seems super easy! thanks for the tutorial... i will def be making one of these for the summer! :)

BrigaBauble said... Best Blogger Tips

Fab! Hoping I can manage not to mess it up. LOL. Seems to be a talent of mine when fabric is involved. Thanks for sharing!

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the tutorial! I made one for myself last night - just in time for Memorial Day at the pool! :)

robin said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your towels,nice collection ..get the more beautiful and stylish towel sets collections, as i got.

Live Rich and Free said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cool! Having a towel that stays on is the best... I have one my mom gave me for dorm-life about 10 years ago, and now it's looking busted but I can't seem to part with it. Now I can make my own!

I've linked to your post in my top 101 coolest reusable craft ideas. The post is here, if you want to see: http://liverichandfree.blogspot.com/2011/10/101-coolest-reuseable-craft-projects.html

Live Rich and Free said... Best Blogger Tips

I really love this, and now I can make a replacement for my velcro-on towel I've been using since I first lived in a dorm... ten years ago.

I linked to your post and included it in my 101 coolest reuseable craft ideas. Nice job!

You can read the post here if you're interested: http://liverichandfree.blogspot.com/2011/10/101-coolest-reuseable-craft-projects.html

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...