Baby's Day Out

January 11, 2010

With each of my children I've had an adorable dress bought for and packed when we were admitted to the hospital.

It was to be their 'going home' dress. This time around I think it will be too cold for a dress. So I'm looking for something warmer but still charming.

On top of that, every dress I've bought for my newborn girls have been disappointingly WAYYYY to big. I bought an adorable 0-3M embroidered Gymboree pale yellow frock and hat for Molly's 'Going Home' and she didn't end up wearing it until more like around 6M.

After seeing how tiny she really was my mother went out and bought a last minute Carter's NB dress instead but it just didn't hold a candle to my original:( Fortunately Molly looked really sweet in anything:)

Take this adorable sweater one piece I fell in love with from Baby Gap. The smallest size available is 0-3.

When Molly was born she was only 5lbs 12oz and despite my best efforts I believe this baby will also be a little peanut. Unfortunately, I don't think this Baby Gap outfit will work for my newborn but I still want something as unique and cute. (ie, not just a printed cotton sleeper).

I've been looking on preemie clothing sites but have found myself less than impressed with what I've found. Does any one out there have any good suggestions for me?

29 {comments}:

Marilyn said... Best Blogger Tips

I always wanted to bring them home in a christening gown :)

Marsel said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you know anyone who designs and sews amazing clothes all the time? Oh wait! YOU!!! :)

Tiffany G. said... Best Blogger Tips

My little one is due in April. I plan to use this pattern to make her a dress: http://madebyrae.blogspot.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern.html

Jessie said... Best Blogger Tips

I brought home my last babe in some custom wool longies (very small) and the wool wrap sweater that I brought Violet home in also. I have put each of these items in the girls memory boxes. Piper was a summer babe and I was given my husband's going home outfit and also a close friend's going home outfit so we brought both of those to the hospital b/c we don't find out the sex. The later babes outfits were gender neutral. I can't wait to see what you pick :)

Jaime said... Best Blogger Tips

Janie and Jack have such cute, boutique looking baby clothes and they have some preemie clothes that would fit nicely. Here is a link of one that I think is cute:

http://www.janieandjack.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443461324&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303374083&bmUID=1263315221748&productSizeSelected=0

Goodluck in your search!

Jaime

Jaime said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, I also forgot to include that they even have a "welcome home suitcase" for baby at Janie and Jack.

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

I have tiny babies too. After learning from my firstborn that I needed to buy a premie size for the second baby I went on a dress hunt. I ended up buying a simple dress that I liked the style of and then I embellished it to fit my girly needs :) Good luck! You are so talented and I am sure you will come up with something spectacular!

Unused Account said... Best Blogger Tips

I had the same problem with both of my little girls.

Unfortunately, a lot of the preemie dresses/outfits out there for little girls are unbearable froofy.

I had some luck at Target finding baby dresses/outfits in Preemie sizes.

Also, Polo/Ralph Lauren makes Preemeie sizes clothes. Check their website under LAYETTE. Their newborn sizes run small (my first daughter wore some Ralph Lauren NB sized clothes while in the NICU).

Unused Account said... Best Blogger Tips

Here's a similar look to the one you posted.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3621797&cp=2048081.2047536&fbn=GenericColor%7CPink&ab=viewall&view=all&fbc=1&f=GenericColor%2FPOLO%2FPink&parentPage=family&selectedColor=Pink

Except it's very $$$!

lislynn said... Best Blogger Tips

Make your own, of course! Smocking is my new favorite :)

happyfamily said... Best Blogger Tips

I think I'd just put something like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26827032&ref=sr_gallery_5&&ga_search_query=preemie&ga_search_type=&ga_page=5&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
over a sleeper and call it good.

gatornic said... Best Blogger Tips

I would love to know what you find out. I have been thinking the exact same thing...my newborn won't be coming home til April or early May but I remember clothes being huge on them (and mine were nearly 8 lbs)...good luck in your search!

S.L.P said... Best Blogger Tips

A friend of mine used to make doll clothes for the premies in the hospitals. What about making her a doll dress, they look just like something a real baby would wear and you can make it your own.

lfhcreative said... Best Blogger Tips

I know this sounds crazy.... I got both my kids preemie clothes from walmart (George and garanimals brands) They are soft, comfortable, and simple. I embellished the little onesies and they turned out really cute. Gymboree also carries jammies and a few other things in preemie size.

Meg said... Best Blogger Tips

Ummmm. . .YOU should make something. You make the cutes things I have ever seen. I don't think you could find anything that could compete.

Dana said... Best Blogger Tips

I have had a site bookmarked for so long..it's called Zutano. They have a section called Itzy Bitzy. You pick your size based on weight not 0-3m etc.. Not sure if the style is really what you are looking for but wanted to mention it. :)

http://shop.zutano.com/

Simply Mel {Reverie} said... Best Blogger Tips

Take a preemie little onesie (color or not) and add sweet embellishments to it. For instance, pretty ribbon bows or a pin-tucked chiffon tutu to the waist! Original, sweet, and very comfy.

secret cake said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't actually used it yet, but have you seen this pattern?

Looks like it could be scaled down easily.

http://habitual.wordpress.com/kimono/

You must be getting so excited! : )

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations on another baby!! I had my 4 in the tropics of Northern Australia & brought them all home in simple cotton dresses which were really just beautiful nighties!! Fine for the girls & NOT matching ones for my twin girls. My boy had a body suit, easy. When you put them into a car seat for the first time they are so tiny!! Clothes are often adjustable now, saving grace!! All the best, love Posie

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

zutano itzy bitzy. they really are small.

also check out tinysprouts.com- such a pretty/simple/soft personalized outfit (and the owner is great to work with. maybe she can do preemie sizes.)

(I love picking out the home from the hospital outfit.. but I have 9lb boy babies.)

Erin said... Best Blogger Tips

ooo, I found the one for you, it's so sweet!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Janie-Jack-Little-Doe-Fair-Isle-Sweater-One-Piece-PRM_W0QQitemZ120352590106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0592c91a
Though I agree with above mentions of you crafting your own outfit, you could even repurpose a soft sweater to create a similar one to that adorable Gap item. Good luck!

Crystal Arcand said... Best Blogger Tips

Perhaps you could find a sweet sweater that she could wear as a dress with the sleeves rolled up? Then maybe you could find a pair of matching tube socks that you could trim the top of to make little custom leg warmers/tights. I'm thinking cute little ribbon garters at the top...

Megbud said... Best Blogger Tips

If you decide to make something, Ottobre have some really cute patterns in smaller sizes (and they're super easy to modify and resize too).

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2009_1/index.html?en

http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2007_6/index.html?en

kentuckymommy said... Best Blogger Tips

My kiddos haven't been quite that small. But, for us premie sizes work best for the first week or so...so maybe a sweatersuit like that gorgeous one you found but in premie...maybe jack and janie or an etsy creation...

sakmb said... Best Blogger Tips

My children were also small my little girl was 2 lbs 6 oz and my little boy was 1 lb 9 oz, so I also know how hard it is to find very small clothes, babies r us preemie and carters preemie were some of the smallest ones I have found, besides micro preemie but I dont think you would need those. Good luck on you search.

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips

Try looking at Janie & Jack online, they really have the sweetest clothes, perfect for going home outfits!

Nicole said... Best Blogger Tips

I was a super little preemie (a twin) and my mom dressed us in doll clothes, like one of your other commenters suggested, for the first few months. She got a lot of amusement out of it, and they were cute clothes, too! Plus, when we grew up we could dress our dolls in our own clothing, which was fun as a kid.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know if you still have time, but if you know someone who crochets or knits, why not get something knitted/crochetted to size and in a style you like? There are so many pretty and sweet baby things out there ;) Btw, best wishes and congrats in advance!

Libby said... Best Blogger Tips

i had an almost 5 lb. baby boy and also had trouble finding premie clothes. my best find...WAL-MART!! i think it's because wal-mart is such a big sponsor of children's miracle network. so yeah...wal-mart has lots of adorable premie clothes!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...