I have always been a traditional kind of decorator in terms of Christmas. Red, Green, Gold. But this year I decided to box those glass balls and white lights in favor of multicolored c7s and this eye popping felt ball garland for a more modern Christmas. If I wanted to splurge I would have gone out and bought a white Christmas tree as I think these would really POP on one.
Now I've seen this sort of garland available in Anthropologie. It's great on the eyes, not so much on the wallet. But if you make it yourself you can have one for the fraction of the cost AND in your choice of colors!
You can buy wool roving pre dyed or buy some here and dye yourself with RIT.
Futte Futte Shaker: You can buy one here Or simply use your hands.
1. Fill bowl with hot water and add 4 tablespoons of dish soap. The soap will help to bind the felt together so don't skimp on it.
2. Cut a piece of wool felt roving the size of your palm.
3. Place wool in futte futte shaker. Now, if you do not have a shaker you can place in your palm instead.
4. Shake in hot soapy water. Again, if you do not have a shaker, hold wool lightly in your palm and shake being sure that the wool is moving in your palm and getting thoroughly saturated.
5. Take out of water and shake. If you do not have a shaker try to roll in your palm to form a ball shape.
This is what your should have when you are done.
6. Take out and let dry. Do this for each ball until you have about 100 or so to make your garland string.
7. Thread an embroidery needle with embroidery thread.
8. Cut about 1 yard of string.
9. Tie a knot at the end.
10. Push needle through center of ball and push ball to end of string. Repeat until you reach the end of the string.
11. Tie a knot at the end.
12. Tie another 1 yard piece of string to the knot you just made and repeat steps 10 & 11 until you run out of felted balls.
13. String on tree! Voila! You have a lovely new homemade garland.
Note: This also makes a great wreath!
Now have a very Merry Modern Christmas!